The post holder will lead a group to manage contracts and delivery operational plans within the service area to fit with broader functional and Council strategy. They will represent and deputise for the service manager in high-level negotiations .
To be the Council’s representative in negotiations with contractors and will be accountable for the overall quality and professionalism of highways contracts service delivery.
The work will involve interpreting complex data and legal and contractual requirements to manage and assess contractor’s performance
The post holder will lead in the identification of internal and external customer needs and trends, generating original ideas to drive innovation and efficiencies
To manage and lead in securing the continuous development, improvement, efficiency and success of the department as a whole
- To be the lead on all contract related matters.
- Comply with, and work within the framework of, the NEC4 based Highways contract, as established within Brent Transportation services.
- Manage and lead in the contract process, providing clarity of direction in delivering effective outcomes and providing a body of expertise in all contract related matters
- Lead in the collection, collation and analysis of complex contractual performance data to continually monitor and challenge contractual requirements and delivery mechanisms in order to drive efficiencies and maximise benefits to customers.
- Lead in all matters pertaining to contractor performance management, including responsibility for management, control and reporting of the required contract KPIs within the specified frameworks.
- Represent the Council in undertaking an arbitration role in the resolution of any contracts issues and to ensure a satisfactory outcome
- Represent the Council and service manager with contractor representatives at the highest level and build collabrative relationships
- Manage the global programme of highway works with responsibility for scheduling of all works activities in conjunction with commissioning clients and contractors
- Work closely with the colleagues to develop timely forward programmes and best value design solutions for highway’s term contractors and contribute to the success of the Council’s London Highways Alliance Contract.
- Lead in negotiation with contractors and other suppliers to ensure optimum efficiency of project delivery to budget and timescale
- Work across the service area in collaboration with service managers and project leads to develop timely programmes of work, both planned and responsive
- Manage staff teams to achieve high performance and effective operational delivery, which includes developing and improving the capability of staff within the service area, motivating and mentoring them to better meet the current and future requirements of the unit.
- Manage the use of resources, developing staff to ensure that they have the skills and training required to maxiimise the opportunities afforded by the effective management of highways contracts
- Manage a customer focused service
- Foster a consistent cross One Council culture by ensuring that Council’s overall vision, values and ethos are central to the approach taken
- Lead and develop effective working relationships and represent the Council as ambassador and advocate with external organisations
- Manage the Council’s interests at enquiries, hearings, committee meetings, member briefings, stakeholder meetings, public meetings, exhibitions and meetings with external bodies
- As a member of the Network and Asset Management Group work proactively to make a positive contribution to the delivery of the service. This will include working flexibly and positively to achieve the objectives of the Council
- Work flexibly and positively to achieve the objectives of the Council
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of this post.
- Understand the value of information to the council and to contribute to good information governance by keeping information safe, accurate and up to date and available to those who need it. Abide by the council’s information governance policies.
- The postholder must at all times carry out her/his duties with due regard to the Council’s Customer Care, Equal Opportunities and Best Value Policies and incorporating the Council’s Core Competencies.
- Identify and evaluate risks and their impact on individuals and/or the community and make informed decisions to mitigate risks
- The post holder is required to take reasonable care for the safety and health of themselves and others who may be affected by their acts; and to work with management to comply with Service/Unit procedures and protocols and with Brent Council’s Health and Safety Policy and all guidance, instructions and risk assessments. In particular the jobholder is required to attend training relevant to their post in order to ensure their health and safety responsibilities are met.