PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Under the direction of the Workshop Supervisor to provide a cost effective vehicle repair and maintenance service on behalf of the Fleet Management Unit, working to predetermined service level agreements.
Working under own initiative and sometimes away from the vehicle workshops to carry out effective repairs to the Council’s items of vehicles and where qualified/experienced to do so to provide instruction, help and guidance to semi-skilled Technicians, Trainees and Apprentices.
To carry out vehicle maintenance in a safe and efficient manner within set standard times and schedule of rates.
In liaison with the Workshop Supervisor identify and assist in the ordering of parts required for the cost effective and timely completion of repairs. Be mindful of ‘best value’ options available when procuring parts.
Communicate job repair costs (exceeding agreed parameters) to the Workshop Supervisor.
Communicate & update the Workshop Supervisor on the progress / status of jobs on a daily basis.
Keep abreast of current vehicle repair and inspection techniques and legislation.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The postholder will have lead responsibility and accountability for the following:-
● Maintain vehicles ensuring they are completed within standard times and schedule of rates set by the Workshop Manager and meet industry quality standards.
● Carry out statutory vehicle safety inspections in line with the Goods Vehicle Testers Manual / Passenger Service Vehicle Testers Manual. Identify faults and liaise with the Workshop Supervisor with regard to subsequent repairs.
● Work in a safe and efficient manner safeguarding both yourself and others.
● Maintain accurate records of working time and downtime throughout the day, recording time on paper or in electronic format as directed.
● Prepare and take vehicles for M.O.T test at DVSA / ATF test stations and authorised locations for non LGV or PSV vehicles. Carry out minor on site repairs if necessary and liaise with the senior inspector in the event of a disputed fault.
● Depending on qualifications / experience, carry out standby fitter duties for ‘out of hours’ vehicle breakdowns (on a rota basis).
● Be prepared to work within a shift pattern commensurate with the requirements of the service.
● Carry out a range of associated duties including gas and arc welding, fabrication of materials, hydraulic system repairs and electrical system repairs.
● Attend training courses both in house and manufacturer based so as to maintain the requisite levels of expertise required for the role.
● Ensure all associated / relevant documentation is completed to a high standard and signed off in accordance with DVSA requirements.
● Monitor the condition of the workshop and ensure standards of cleanliness are maintained
● Undertake such other related duties deemed to be reasonably associated with the normal job function and responsibilities of the post holder.
Pay rate: £145.75 per day umbrella
Three to six months contract with view to extend or make permanent