Use extensive knowledge to make a positive impact on the achievements of children in care and previously looked after children. Support, advise and challenge school leaders, social workers and school staff in order to identify barriers to children in care achieving in education by helping them to develop strategies to improve their educational attainment. Delivering high quality training and support for carers and Designated Teachers in schools, you will ensure statutory duties and best practice standards are met. Use a high level of technical knowledge in relation to all aspects of education, including Special Education Needs, exclusions, and behaviour management to focus on progress, needs identification, attendance, carefully targeted intervention and enrichment provision, which will meet academic, social and emotional needs.
Provide intensive educational casework for a designated cohort of children and young people looked after to ensure they are provided with appropriate, services and interventions involving multi-disciplinary work.
To deliver the education vision for the Virtual School, reflecting local, regional and national priorities, legislation and good practice, with a strong emphasis on raising the educational standard of children and young people that have been looked after.
Provide support and direction to the Virtual School team around key priorities in area/age group of specialism.
Ensure high-quality Personal Education Plans are in place within agreed timescales for all children and young people looked after in the agreed area of responsibility, ensure that each child is receiving appropriate support with pupil premium being discharged purposefully in line with local authority policy.
To undertake direct work with children and young people in educational settings, the community and at home/placement to ensure educational needs are fully met and any barriers identified, this would include observation, mentoring, tuition as appropriate. This will include travel across the country to wherever our children are placed. Developing effective relationships with schools, including senior leaders and designated teachers to support the educational attainment of looked after children, including through:
• Challenging practices, decisions and approaches that impact educational attainment of looked after children.
• Agreeing additional support as required to meet the educational needs of the young person.
To maintain effective systems for tracking pupil progress data, including contribution to and use of data reporting tools/Business Intelligence reports.
Skills; Experience and Attitude
• Knowledge and understanding of relevant education and social care legislation and policy relating to children in public care
• 2 years+ mainstream teaching experience.
• Experience of two or more key stages of education.
• Effective communication and presentation skills and an ability to build constructive relationships with a diverse group of clients and professionals
• Ability to identify and record evidence of progress (outcomes) by children
• Experience and proven capability in the use of IT systems
• A high level of organisational skills with a proven ability to prioritise and balance a challenging workload
• Experience in compiling reports for a variety of audiences and evidence of ability to meet deadlines
HOURS PER WEEK 36
PAY PER HOUR £27.84 Umbrella