To carry out gardening and horticultural maintenance to horticultural features, grass areas and natural features, under the direction of a Lead Gardener to give a high quality service that delivers cleaner, safer and well maintained estates and excellent customer service.
1. Assist with the maintenance of ornamental areas and features to include; shrubs & shrub beds, roses & rose beds, hedges and natural features; (Bulb Plantings, Wildflower meadows and areas of biodiversity).
2. Assist with maintenance of grass areas to include mowing, edging, and renovation tasks.
3. As directed undertake the control of unwanted herbage in horticultural features and hard landscape areas.
4. Assist with minor landscape works and horticultural development as directed.
5. To have an up-to-date knowledge of the safe use of range of motorised equipment such as mowers, strimmers, hedge cutters, blowers, rotovators, including their maintenance and adjustments.
6. To ensure all equipment and machinery in your charge are secured during working hours.
7. To undertake such training as required to a) maintain a suitable skill set, b) develop additional skills to assist in higher level activities as required.
8. To be responsible for one’s individual health and safety and that of colleagues, residents and passers-by within your responsibility or affected by your work.
9. When required to drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and be responsible for the care and cleaning of allocated vehicles and carry out routine non mechanical maintenance (e.g. check tyre pressure, oil and water) and ensuring that all equipment and materials are safely stored.
10. To ensure that a high standard of customer care is offered to all sections of the community.
11. To remove litter and rubbish trapped in shrubs and hedges following the trimming of these.
12. To be trained and be able to apply as requested herbicides in green and hard standing areas.
13. To report any fire risks identified in green areas such as combustible items stored against buildings, gas and petrol canisters and also access issues.
14. To report weapons, drugs, drug paraphernalia and any other similar items hidden in the green areas to management, ASB Team and/or Police.
15. To undertake such other duties of a similar nature, commensurate with the grade may be required from time to time.
16. Carry out other reasonable ad hoc duties to support the Directorate which are commensurate with the expectation of the post as directed by the line manager or the Head of Service.
17. Tower Hamlets Homes reserves the right to change the working patterns in future to ensure that the hours of the service reflect the needs of residents.
Pay rate: £20.01 per hour umbrella
Three to six months contract with view to extend or make permanent