- Effectively work with an array of prevention tools e.g Homefinders Scheme, Discretionary Hardship Payments and court representation to prevent homelessness, wherever possible, or to facilitate a move into suitable, affordable accommodation.
- Accurately and robustly process housing and homelessness approaches within agreed timescales, adhering to relevant policies, procedures, legislation case law and guidance.
- Arrange and undertake home visits where appropriate to confirm homelessness, to inspect housing standards / conditions or to verify a household’s circumstances
- Liaise with the Market Management Team to secure accommodation where a housing duty is owed. To recommend access for households to the councils rent deposit scheme (Homefinders). Ensure the prompt cancellation of temporary accommodation when there is no longer a duty.
- Competently interpret and explain clearly complex legal matters to tenants, landlords and other interested parties. To have a detailed understanding of security of tenure including tenancy agreements, defending possession proceedings, harassment, illegal eviction, disrepair issues and tenancy sustainment.
- Liaise with the Council’s Medical Assessment Officers to ensure comprehensive and robust medical assessments are carried out for homeless households and housing Register applications.
- Provide a clear and accurate response within corporate timescales to legal challenges, MP and councillors enquiries, complaints, phone and written enquiries including complex correspondence to the Housing Advisory Service.
- Work in partnership with other partners including Gateway Services, Assessment Services, Revenues and Benefits, supporting people internal and external organisations to identify and make referrals to specialist initiatives to prevent homelessness ie rent deposit/bond schemes SMURDS.
- Identify and liaise with other agencies in relation to special need cases, ie hospital discharge, care leavers mental health issues requiring referral to special needs panel MHAP MHP identifying pathway plans.
- Be fully conversant with welfare benefit entitlements including Housing benefit regulations, Discretionary housing payments, Local Housing allowance.
- Work in partnership with Estate management in relation to Estate regeneration initiatives ensuring adequate procedures for assessing Estate regeneration are in place.
- Comply with the regulations governing S198 referrals. Cautions under S214.Housing Act 1996/2002 and S202 reviews and appeals
- Any other duties reasonably requested by management
- Carry out all accountabilities in compliance with the Council’s Policies and Procedures
Pay: £27.10 Umbrella