The Major Transport Schemes Project Manager is a key role for the council, helping to plan,
design, appraise, and delivery essential, large scale transportation programmes and projects for
the district. The role has a key responsibility to help effectively and efficiently manage these
programmes and projects, working across several service areas of the Council to deliver the
council’s objectives for transportation, climate change, environmental improvement, place shaping
and economic growth.
You will have lead responsibility for managing specific projects which form part of the Council’s
transportation investment programmes as well as contributing to the wider transportation
outcomes for the council. The post will report to the Major Transport Schemes Programme Lead
and the Head of Service.
• Day-to-day project management of one or more of the council’s major transport schemes
and have the technical knowledge, behaviours, and experience to facilitate the delivery of
major projects for the Council. This will be under the direction, supervision, and support of
the Major Transport Schemes Programme Lead.
• Help accelerate delivery by ensuring that projects are managed effectively and consistently,
including their scope, objectives/outcomes, risks/issues, cross programme dependencies
and ensure that benefits and outcomes are effectively tracked and delivered.
• Be responsible for the business case development for external funding for transport
projects consistent with assurance frameworks that are fit for purpose and that support
timely delivery of major projects.
• Build highly effective working relationships with key stakeholders, across Council services
• Provide intelligence and strategic guidance on transportation based programmes and
projects to ensure services and the directorate continue to work effectively and deliver
• As Project Manager you will be working with colleagues from within the council, other public
and private sector organisations, commissioned consultants, Highways England and Rail
and Bus operators to deliver successful major highway and transport schemes.
• You will work with a range of stakeholders including senior managers, Members,
developers and infrastructure providers to coordinate and deliver projects and lead on the
Page 2 of 3
design, organising and attending public consultation / exhibitions to seek stakeholder
consensus on projects and transport policy and strategy.
• The post holder will be a highway and transport engineer and /or transport planner with
experience of managing transport, regeneration and place programmes and projects and
will act as project / programme manager for one or more schemes to manage the diverse
activities that contribute to the successful delivery of major projects of this nature.
• Proven ability to apply project management principles and techniques to a wide range of
complex projects or programmes including financial management of projects / programmes.
• Substantial practical or professional experience and understanding of this specialist area
and proven problem-solving skills with the capacity to devise and implement innovative
Payrate: £31.00 umbrella