If you are interested in this role or to find out more, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us directly on 0207 537 6607.
Get in touch with us today to find out more about this role:
Job Title: Port Health Support Officer
- Maximum 6 months before other accommodation can be discussed
- Disturbance and settling costs will be covered by the council
- Paid leave and absence to move
- Travel allowance and weekend travel will be allowed but must be agreed upon by the Head of Personnel and Development
Location: Ashford, Kent (with relocation packages available)
Purpose of the post:
- To undertake a range of statutory duties to safeguard public health.
- To conduct official controls including carrying out checks on imports of products of animal origin and high-risk food not of animal origin in order to ensure that only products that are safe to eat enter the food chain.
- To undertake checks of organic food, illegal unreported and unregulated fishing, animal composites and other relevant controlled goods.
- To work independently or when legislatively required under the supervision of Official Veterinarians / Port Health Officers.
- To make an effective contribution to the development and achievement of the Ashford Border BCP health protection and business objectives.
- To protect public health by applying port health controls on imports in accordance with relevant statutory provisions, rules and international trading standards.
- To perform physical, identity, documentary and seal etc. checks in accordance with legislative requirements and the associated processes & procedures in order to ensure that only products that are safe to eat enter the food chain.
- To be responsible for the storage and dispatch of statutory samples, ensuring that they are packaged correctly for safe transport under required conditions and are dispatch to the correct laboratory.
- To maintain stock levels and equipment available for inspection.
- To assist others in the performance of port health duties as required including undertaking physical checks and sampling as directed.